Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day late and a dollar short

I had every intention of posting my weekly update on Monday, but I didn't get home until after 10pm, so I put it off until Tuesday. Tuesday night rolled around and same thing- I didn't get home until after 10pm.

Then I just figured I'd post whenever I could. That happens to be right now.

My Monday weight was the same as last week, 197 lbs. Again, I didn't do much to prepare for the week (didn't have fresh fruits and veggies on hand, didn't meal plan).

I did better about taking my pills. I think I took them 3 days out of the 5, so Yeah! My friend texted me a few days and that was just the reminder I needed, so thanks to Connie!

I also got 8+ hours of sleep each night. Sleeping is never a problem for me. Thank God!

Despite my lack of motivation and progress thus far, I am still in it to win it. I'm not mad that I haven't made progress. I can't be mad; I haven't done anything differently to create progress.

I've been very introspective lately. I think a lot about me, which, believe it or not, is unusual.

I'm usually going, going, going...always on the move, always doing something. I tend to not slow down enough to think about much of anything, let alone myself.

For whatever reasons, every since our vacation last month, I've spent a great deal of time thinking about myself. I've made very conscious efforts to slow down. Slowing down has freed up my brain and my thoughts. I actually have time to....think.

For example, a few weeks ago, I forgot my cell phone at home one morning. While driving to my destination, I came to a red light and reached into my purse to grab the phone. I couldn't find the phone and realized I had left it on the kitchen table. OK, no big deal.

At the next stop light, I reached for the phone again. I reached into my purse and spent another 30 seconds trying to find my phone. I then remembered I had left it on the kitchen table. Unbelievable. I had the same conversation with myself two stop lights in a row. It was at that moment that I realized I've been living life on fast forward. In reality, I couldn't even sit at a stop light without unconsciously reaching for my phone to check Facebook or my email.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I was sitting at my desk at work. I clicked on the Quickbooks icon to open the program and while it was opening, I clicked on the internet icon so I could check the newswire to see what was happening in the world. I have two monitors at work, so while the one program opens, I almost always open the internet to check the news.

Seriously? I can't sit for 10 seconds while a program opens without having to entertain myself with something else?

All of this to say that my mind has been working overtime and I believe this is one of the many barriers I face to weight loss. I'd like to think that weight loss is a priority, but my actions tell a different story. Clearly, I haven't taken the time to develop my strategy. I haven't committed to doing anything of significance that would result in weight loss.

I'm hopeful that by slowing down, I'll spend more time on important things, like weight loss and being healthy. Always being on the go is mentally exhausting and its left little room for me to truly focus my time and thoughts on whats really important.

So I'm adding another goal to my daily list: Focus on me. I really need to take the time to do this.

I KNOW this will result in results.

No comments:

Post a Comment