Monday, June 22, 2009

Rut-Ro

Previous weight: 195.5
Goal weight: 193
Current weight: 197

I gained 1.5 lbs.

I was supposed to LOSE 1.5 lbs, NOT GAIN.

Once again, I didn't prepare well so I didn't have a good array of fresh, healthy foods to choose from during the week.

I definitely don't have the motivation I had while on vacation. I go through spurts during the week. One meal I'm motivated, but the next, I'm rushed and I don't even think about what I'm eating. I'm trying to get healthy and I'm not even paying attention to what I'm putting in my mouth.

In trying go slow and steady, am I not focused enough? Am I being too relaxed in my approach?

I sense maybe I've swung too far in the opposite direction. Afraid of failing based on how I've approached weight loss in the past, I've tried not focusing too much on changing everything at once. As a result, I haven't actually changed anything. I'm in the same routines as before, but I'm expecting different results.

You would think that I must not be that interested in losing the weight. You'd think I must be content with how I am. But I'm not.

I'm sick of wearing the same 3 shirts because I don't have any others that fit.

I'm having trouble getting going.

But, that's all about to change.....

In the past, I've enjoyed successful weight loss when I've had an upcoming event planned.

During Mr. O's senior year in college, I attended his final fraternity formal and had dropped about 15lbs prior to the big night. I had also weight trained, so not only was I thinner, but I was more toned that I had been previously. Everyone noticed. People I hadn't seen in almost a year complimented me on "healthy" I looked! It was fantastic. I felt like a million bucks. One of my favorite pictures of Mr. O and I is from that night. My smile was a true reflection of how I felt. Now, its just a reminder of how unhealthy I am.

Prior to our wedding, I lost about 28 lbs. Once again, I was down to a healthy weight and I was so proud of myself. My wedding dress had to be altered THREE times because I kept losing weight. At the final fitting, the seamstress begged me to GAIN about 5 lbs so my top would fit better. She grew tired of rebeading the bust line. Of course I politely refused to gain the weight :) I had worked too hard to get the weight off. I actually preferred having a loose fitting dress rather than putting on the weight.

When I have an event to look forward to, that provides sufficient motivation. I picture myself at the event and how I want to feel.

Well, I have an event coming up in about 5 weeks. Over the weekend, a group of my college sorority sisters began planning a reunion. I haven't seen many of these people in 8 or 9 years (in terms of my weight, that was at least 30 lbs ago). Many are moms who have 2-3 children and they look fantastic! Bitches They haven't gained a damn pound, even after childbirth!

There will be a family picnic and then a girls night out (which I'm SOOOO excited about).

I recognize that losing weight in anticipation of a big event isn't a good long term weight loss strategy. However, I feel this is the push I need to get me started. I clearly haven't been successful these past 2 weeks mustering up the motivation on my own. And, knowing my past successes have come as a result of preparing for a specific event already has me planning my next week in greater detail. Because it's worked before, I'm looking forward to doing it again. It's a proven strategy in my weight loss war chest.

I feel like a broken record. I have the same goals as previously stated:

  1. Take my daily vitamins/supplements
  • Vitamin D 10,000 IU
  • Iodine 12.5mg (down from 50 mg during my initial replenishment)
  • Magnesium 250 mg
2. Eight hours of restful sleep

I've been getting 8 hours of sleep, but I haven't take ANY of my pills. WTH?!

I really want to add another goal, but until I can accomplish the two on my list, whats the point? I'll wait until I can handle those before I start adding more.

Hope you didn't come here seeking motivation. Right now I'm still struggling to get my own ass in gear. I promise you, though, that I WILL get things going and then, watch out ;)

This chapter isn't over yet...

2 comments:

  1. That sucks that you gained 1.5 pounds. I feel like I gained too and I think it's because I drank wine. DAMN IT!

    I think it is an excellent idea to have a goal ahead to keep you motivated. Anything that works is helpful. Everyone is different.

    YOU CAN DO THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, where should I start? LOL Here's the thing..if weight loss was easy, no one would be overweight. But it's hard, REALLY hard...so it has to be the most important thing we're doing.
    It's a hobby for me to eat the right foods, the right amount of those foods and to exercise. Do I like it? I didn't at first, but I love it now. Does it get easier? No, but I get stronger.
    I am a Weight Watchers member, and it works for me because I can count what I'm eating. I write it all down, and I exercise. You just have to make time (even when you're rushed) to make a good choice. I keep Fiber One bars and Slinfast on hand just so I can grab them when I'm running out if I don't feel like cooking. I keep low calorie snacks in my handbag so I can eat those instead of picking up a bag or doritos or a burger when I need a snack. I drink water and no sodas, etc.
    It's a long road my friend...and I'm here doing it with you...Would you consider a WW meeting? In addition to being totally fun, they also keep me motivated for the next week. The other members will be happy for you when you do great and encouraging when you don't do as well as you had hoped.
    i love it, and I wish you all the best with it. I'll keep checking back. It makes me happy to know that there are people like you walking down the same path as me. Thanks for being here.

    PS I eat unhealthy foods too. I just make sure that I eat all of my fruits and veggies, drink all of my water and eat protein before I have an unhealthy snack. And I eat a small portion, but I feel satisfied and happy. We can have what we like, you know?

    Okay, I'll shut up now. hehe

    ReplyDelete